Sunday, November 30, 2008

'Lori's Legacy" continued






After the diagnosis was done it was necessary for our son to have a biopsy. We had been up near Edmonton in a hockey tournament and during one of the periods TJ got hit hard and was on the ice for quite awhile. Needless to say this mother's heart dropped as I was concerned how this injury would play out.
They took him by ambulance to Edmonton and after waiting hours he was let go with a sling. Somehow this big city ER department missed the diagnosis that he actually had a broken collar bone. To this day the shoulder is deformed.
We journeyed down to Red Deer to stay the night as the biopsy was scheduled for very early the next morning.
The motel we stayed at was just at the bottom of the hill to the hospital. There was lots of snow on the ground at this time as we are in the month of February.
Our son had a very tough night because of the pain and of course I am sure in his mind he was concerned.
I know this Mother was!!! and of course his Dad was as well.
The next morning hubby went out to the van to brush off the snow as it was totally covered.
As we waited in the hospital I was amazed at the calmness of my hubby and almost felt annoyance that he was so calm.....(he never told me what happened out in the parking lot)
I picked up a TIME magazine and there was an article on the disease called Hodgins....and despite my spiritual coolness at this time I knew this was no coincidence.

It went on to say in the article that the cure rates of Hodgins had increased considerably over the past few years.

We left that morning after the biopsy and it comes back malignant. For anyone who has had a loved one diagnosed with a potentially fatal disease you know that my heart broke.
The next days at home were very confusing for our daughters as we did not immediately tell them the outcome....all they saw was their mother crying all the time.
The next step was to go the the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton to consult with an Oncologist on the next steps to be taken.
They wanted to remove TJ's spleen and I was so against it...because in my simple thinking you open the body and it just flares up the cancer that is growing. Hubby told me if that is what had to be done there is no choice.
Well at this time there was a Nurse's strike and any operations in Alberta were not available except for those dealing with heart attacks.
Friends questioned why this situation would not be considered life threatening....and I to wondered.
We contemplated taking our son out of Province to have the surgery but as we waited one day TJ said to me he thought he was not going to be able to breathe.
I phoned the Specialist in Red Deer and he said to take him up the next day to the Cancer Clinic.
TJ had x-rays taken just days before and when we journeyed up he sat on a chair with about 20 specialist looking at the two x-rays from about 5 days apart.
One female Doctor could not comprehend that during all this time TJ was still playing hockey.

The tumour had grown so much that it was about the size of a pie plate. The decision was made that chemotherapy would have to be started immediately and they would assume that he had now advanced into the fourth stage.

Would you believe that the day after they started his chemo. the nurses went back to work.
I would drive my son up to the clinic from where we lived at the time. Friends would come in to our business to watch it until I got home. The appointments were very short and he would receive a shot and then pills.

Hubby was apologetic saying he had not given me any money for a prescription but all I did was go to the clinic pharmacy and they gave me the 13 pills he took each day for the week.

I went to a friend that was our local Pharmacist and inquired what this Rx would have cost me and he said about $700.00 and this was back in 1981.

Well dear journal friends I am going to close this excerpt for now but will continue again tomorrow.

*************************************
For the next appointment my son balked at getting the needle and I understood this because he would be so sick. I think back to when I was in chemotherapy and I always got some anti-nausea drugs with the drip and then took some afterwards. It is hard to comprehend there was nothing like that back in 81.
I asked the nurse to give us a moment as I pleaded with TJ that there just was no choice in the matter. I am sorry to say that my Lord would not have been proud of my reaction when at the next Monday appointment the Oncologist came in with much agitation to say "this patient held me up last time" and then this "mama bear" came unravelled. I will not say what came out of my mouth but the Lord certainly needed to bridle my tongue.
We continued his treatment and believe it or not our son continued playing hockey.
One little old lady who faithfully game out to watch the Midget (level of age) hockey games questioned me one night, "Lori, I thought your boy was sick?" I told her he was VERY sick but someone this outlet kept him going. He would wait until all the team were out of the dressing room and then ask his Father to tie up his skates.
We hosted an International hockey tournament and TJ was named the MVP because of goals scored and his hockey skills.
Although at the time he did not acknowledge this I know it was the supernatural strength that God was giving TJ to continue playing.
I would watch from my perch up in the communications booth hardly being able to contain the tears that wanted to flow.
I know during this time people all over were praying for our son and us. People who we never knew or had even met in our lives. The power of prayer is SO powerful and when God's people hear of someone in need, they petition the Almighty on their behalf.
At the end of his chemotherapy the relief for his breathing was almost immediate.
He was allowed a short time of recuperation until he had to start his radiation treatments.
Again it meant a drive up and back to Edmonton which was about two hours each way. I know the Lord gave me the strength to do this and TJ would sleep all the way home after his radiation.
He was instructed not to shower as the skin is very sensitive and you know how usually it is impossible to get teen boys to wash, this one time he comes to me with a felt pen and asks, "Mom can you put the marks back on my chest." Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh my goodness these marks were for where the radiation was to focus. At the time I had radiation they gave you actual tattoo marks.
There was no sense getting annoyed or upset but as I marked the places I quietly said, "Lord, you know where these have to be."
The time of radiation was only about 5 minutes so of course driving back and forth was very difficult.
At this time we had been put in personal bankruptcy as well so my hubby was out on the road selling for a tool company.
I want to share at another time about the days and months of our bankruptcy but will continue with TJ's story.
As the summertime was approaching baseball was around the corner...I inquired from the Radiologist if TJ would be allowed to play and she said "as long as your son keeps himself covered from the sun he will be fine." He may have to go to the back of the dug-out to get sick but if this sport allows him to take the focus off his illness that is fine.
It was not totally understood by his peers the exact seriousness of TJ's situation. One friend commented to him, "hey TJ don't you ever wash?" This was because his neck looked like an over-toasted marshmallow and this of course was from the radiation.
As the summertime ended and school was about to start and of course football was the next sport of the season. I remember listeningon the radio station to the first game TJ played in and it was like he was the only one on the field. He made twenty-seven points that game. I cut out the article from the paper and sent it up to the Radiologist and told her to show this any young person who may be in her care and tell them the story of TJ.
Our lives had been turned upside down of course and I remember that next Spring when I was canvassing for the Cancer Society I asked the leader if I could put a picture up of TJ. (the one posted) I wanted to tell people that CANCER CAN BE BEATEN.
I totally acknowledge the supernatural healing of my son, but also credit the medical community who the Lord bestows the knowledge of how to treat this nasty disease.
I know many of you who may read this have lost loved ones. My dearest Mother was only 57 when she succumbed but I was fortunate and to this day consider myself (finally) a cancer survivor.
Thank-you Lord for sparing our son, and it will be my continual prayer till you take me home that TJ will come to that place in his life where he will submit to the wooing of your Holy Spirit and commit his life to you.
I know that may not happen till I leave this Earth and help me in those times when with my eyes it would seem hopeless....because I know in your Word you tell me that you should want the NONE BE LOST.
Thank-you journal friends for allowing me to share this story which is very close to my heart.
Alberta LORI

1 comment:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

My youngest had cancer surgery almost 8 years ago now. He's doing ok and cancer free so far. The good Lord has some work for him I'm sure. I'll never forget a moment of those trying days.
I know what you were going through.
'On Ya'-ma