Thursday, November 27, 2008

On Grieving, Gratitude and Guilt (Part Five)

Well I already wrote this and somehow it is in my drafts and I have no idea how to get it from there to here so I will re-write.

When deep personal loss is dealt with in a healthy manner, our grieving becomes a bridge of love to the future. It is a future with a huge missing part of our lives. But it is the only future we have. And to move forward in faith, hope and continuing reverence for the memories of our loved one is the greatest memorial we can erect.
It is a living memorial based in love and built on hope.
We need not fear talking about our deceased loved ones. We need not hide from our feelings. Grieving takes time. It is energy draining. We must allow it to do its work. Not by wallowing in self-pity, but by honouring the one we love by embracing grief with loving determination to be a living memorial through a life that counts for others.
May these entries be an inspiration to you today and in the days to come.

**recommended reading**

Facing Death by Billy Graham

DEATH IS WHAT LIFE IS ALL ABOUT, A SLOW DISCOVERY OF THE MORTALITY OF ALL THAT IS CREATED SO THAT WE CAN APPRECIATE ITS BEAUTY WITHOUT CLINGING TO IT AS IF IT WERE A LASTING POSSESSION. OUR LIVES CAN INDEED BE SEEN AS A PROCESS OF BECOMING FAMILIAR WITH DEATH.....WE WE SEE LIFE CONSTANTLY (IN THE CONTEXT OF) DEATH, WE CAN ENJOY IT FOR WHAT IT IS: A FREE GIFT.
THE PICTURES, LETTERS, AND BOOKS OF THE PAST REVEAL LIFE TO US AS A CONSTANT SAYING OF FAREWELL TO BEAUTIFUL PLACES, GOOD PEOPLE, AND WONDERFUL EXPERIENCES....ALL THESE TIMES HAVE PASSED BY LIKE FRIENDLY VISITORS, LEAVING US WITH DEAR MEMORIES BUT ALSO WITH THE SAD RECOGNITION OF THE SHORTNESS OF LIFE. IN EVERY ARRIVAL THERE IS A LEAVETAKING; IN EACH ONE'S GROWING UP THERE IS A GROWING OLD; IN EVERY SMILE THERE IS A TEAR; AND IN EVERY SUCCESS THERE IS A LOSS.

"A Letter of Consolation" (H. Nouwen)

3 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Just a note to say I'm wishing your a Happy Thanksgiving

betty said...

excellent entry again Lori; it is good to come full circle with grief and to be able to enjoy talking about the one that passed with sadness but also with happiness as memories are shared and remembered

betty

Searching for Peace said...

This was a very heart touching entry for me. I lost my sister last october 2007. I miss her dearly!! I havent been able to pull myself out of it. I just havent been the same.

hugs, Christine (struggling with my life)