Saturday, November 1, 2008

DIDACTIC DISCOURSE (number 3)


BAD HABITS and ADDICTIONS

Life certainly is a challenge. There are numerous things we can become obsessive about. God's Word is a powerful reflective tool as it mirrors back to us the things than can rule over us. God offers hope and help to overcome addictions.

I looked for what would be suitable in a picture and thought whoa, this says it all because right now I confess the computer has started to become an addiction.

Proverbs Chapter 25 verse 16

When you find honey, eat only as much as you need. Otherwise, you will have too much and vomit.

Proverbs Chapter 20 verse 1

Wine make people mock, liquor make them noisy and everyone under their influence is unwise.

Proverbs Chapter 23 verses 20 and 21

Do not associate with those who drink too much wine, with those who eat too much meat, because both a drunk and a glutton will become poor. Drowsiness will dress a person in rags.

As I pondered in my heart what addictions I can outright confess would be anything with sugar, laziness, recently the computer time spent, and those that the Lord knows my desire to overcome.

Lord, we thank you for your Word and confess we need to study it more and weave into our very fabric of being.

2 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We are all human and have addictions of some kind. I always try to remember that in my weakness He (God) is strong. 'On Ya'-ma

betty said...

I think we have strongholds (addictions); I think we need to learn how to control them so they don't control us and asking the Lord to help is definitely the first step

I find myself spending way too much time online but I try to make sure everything else is done first, make sense? Need to make sure I do my devotions (although I admit today I spent time first on the computer then did my Bible reading later, but usually its the other way around), need to make sure I spend time in prayer, daily etc and then computer time. Balancing is so important; and finding that balance is sometimes hard to do

betty