Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Death does not escape our daily life...even on a cruise....

Well although I said I would not write I think I will do this in parts. This one is about the title....

The first fatality was a cruise member from St. Lucia who had just walked off the ship at a port and dropped dead at the age of 40 +.

One day hubby and I did not go with our kids to the beach at the Barbados and my eldest girl(ER Nurse) and youngest daughter's hubby Fireman and Paramedic was involved in an other fatality with a fellow who was swimming and observed to clutch at his chest. My son-in-law got him into the beach and daughter and another nurse performed CPR for sometime but unfortunately he did not survive. Probably good that Nana was not there as she does not deal in these situations at all well.
The next scenario was the eldest girl's hubby who is also a Firemedic and had gone out on a fishing expedition. Just before the tender arrived at the ship a fellow passenger went down and my son-in-law brought him back to life with his knowledge of CPR.
It is not without saying that this man can thank our son-in-law for saving his life and although to me it was a BIG deal this is part of their everyday life.

While on the trip we heard several codes which meant there were different situations of death. I am not sure if this happened last year while we were on our first cruise, but you know as I tally the cost of taking my family I am thankful for this man because my son-in-law was there.

Once more the blatant fact is we never know the time the Lord will call us...and we must be ready.

Love Lori

7 comments:

garnett109 said...

it was great that both these gentlemen were there to help them out.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You are so very right, we never know when the Lord will call us and we should be ready. It is good your son-in-law was able to save that man. Last week a very dear friend of mine, lost a partner very suddenly, they never got to say good bye and this person is absolutely devestated, but they had a loving relationship and hopefully the memories and good times will help sustain them through this so very difficult time. I am sorry you are not feeling well, I sincerely hope you feel better soon. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry about the first comment, I messed it up and had to retype it. LOL.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Every day it seems I am reminded of that more and more. I suppose ship life is like life in general and we have no choice where or when for sure. It would put a bit of a damper on vacation though.

Jeannette said...

Hi Lori, thanks for your comment on my journal. I'm doing the exact same cruise as you did, on the Norwegian Jewel! We leave the UK on April 2nd and board the ship on the 3rd. I can't wait to read all about it here, it's my first cruise! Weird thing was that we were going on January 23rd at first then put it back to April, we would've met you if we'd gone on the first date! Let me know what the ship is like please! Jeannette xx

Janie said...

A week ago Saturday I sang at a friend's funeral. Last Monday my husband went to the funeral of a 30 year old young man. We went to a funeral this morning at 10:00. No we never know. I feel this way though... If the Lord knew when I was going to be born, how many hairs I have on my head, knows every sparrow that falls to the ground... then He knows when He will call me home. lol Gives me a sense of peace. Very good entry because we do not know. Hope you have a blessed week. Janie