Saturday, November 22, 2008

On Grieving, Gratitute and Guilt





Grieving is a natural, desirable, even necessary experience for one to be mentally healthy during times of severe personal loss.
Grieving is a process, not a fleeting emotion to be experienced and quickly subverted. The process of grief takes time. And each grieving person has his or her own timetable.
No two people, however close, grieve in the same way. It is a process as unique as an individual's personality.
While specialists have defined steps in the process, each phase will be longer or shorter for one person than another.
No length of time in grieving is right or wrong. Grieving becomes a problem needing help only when one becomes trapped in one stage and does not progress through the process to the place where the loss is accepted and the bereaved person is able to return to a degree of normalcy.
One rarely "gets over" the death of a father or mother or spouse or child. The loss is too deep, too permanent. Rather, through a healthy grieving process, one gains the ability to cope with the loss.
The day comes when memories no longer focus on the loss, but on the joy of remembering the good times.
A void is still there, but gratitude replaces grief as the dominant emotion.
Grieving as a process involves distinct stages. Each requires special understanding and effort to deal with.
......to be continued.....


Let grief do its work. Tramp every inch of the sorrowful way. Drink every drop of the bitter cup. Draw from memory and hope all that they can offer. To see the things our loved ones have left behind will give us daily pain--the clothes they wore, the letters they wrote, the books they read, the chairs in which they sat, the music they loved, the hymns they sang, the walks they took, the games they played, their seat in church, and much beside--but what would we be without those reminders? Would we like quickly to break with the past in order to ease our grief? Those who truly love will say that they have found in sorrow a new joy, a joy which only the broken-hearted can know.
"W.Graham Scroggie"

In Isaiah we are told "The Lord has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted....to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve..to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.

3 comments:

betty said...

this was a good entry about grief Lori; it is so true about it; I never experienced grieving until my mom died and I thought I would have handled it differently but boy, did it take me for a loop; I did go through the stages and I can now say (almost 2 years later) I'm at the stage where I can remember and talk about the good memories with just that touch a sadness that she's still not with us here, but I know exactly where she's at and I know I'll get to spend eternity with her

betty

ADB said...

Lori,
Having lost a close relative only 7 months ago, this does echo with me. Grief is so personal, that as an outsider you can only give support in the broadest term. On an earlier entry, I quite agree: don't blame the poor soldier for the bad decisions made by politicians which they have had to carry out.

Guido
http://atlantic-lines.blogspot.com

slj said...

I don't think a lot of people realize that there are steps to the grieving process..in the end hopefully, we get to the places where we need to be.
Hope you have a nice day,
Sheri