
One summertime Lori attended the Baptist Camp as usual and spotted a VERY cute young man but he seemed preoccupied with another gal. Come the July camp Lori was up to her typical ways and met this young man.
Would you believe after almost 50 years I can still remember what I was wearing THAT day.
On our first date this young man told Lori he was going to marry her. My goodness, now that was a line I had never heard before.
As the camp ended goodbyes were said and Lori headed off to Coeur D' Alene with her girlfriend for the family's annual holiday.
Needless to say this young man's name was mentioned quite often. Upon return home the young man would take all his money for gas, to travel up to where Lori lived. As was the immature ways of Lori she continued on with a rather shallow life of "boy-craziness".
Lori's mother loved this young man immediately and said one day, "if I find a job and a place to live will you stay?" I think you are going to be the only one that can handle my daughter .Well he stayed and through the years to come Lori was engaged to this young man 3 times. I was so immature and did not have much sensibility. Thank the good Lord this young man never gave up and we were married in 1964.
I was VERY frightened as I took my vows VERY seriously and was aware that although a marriage due to circumstances was not untypical. The vows were made to God first.
The pastor even had to ask me again if I heard as I hesitated to respond and thought I could turn around and run out the church door. I did not.
I have a beautiful cross-stitch saying that friends gave us at our 25th anniversary when we lived in Banff, AB and it says this."MARRIAGE TAKES THREE"
I once thought marriage took
Just two to make a go
But now I am convinced
It takes the Lord also.
And not one marriage fails
Where Christ is asked to enter,
As lovers come together
With Christ as the centre
But marriage seldom thrives,
And homes are incomplete,
Till He is welcome there
To help avoid defeat
In homes where Christ is first
It's obvious to see,
Those unions really work
For marriage still takes three.
As hubby and I have recently celebrated our 44th. anniversary I am VERY aware of the deep valleys that the Lord brought us through. (son's cancer at 17, deaths of parents, personal bankruptcy, Lori's breast cancer and now hubby's recent heart attack) Of course the Lord was with us on the mountain top experiences as three children were born to us and now a total of six grandkids. A true awakening of the Holy Spirit within us during son's cancer and bankruptcy which were at the same time. I truly believe our son's sickness was "UNTO THE GLORY OF GOD" as stated in scripture.
This man in my life is so much a part of me that when we are apart I feel as those a part of my body is missing.
I praise the Lord daily for giving me this man to care for me, for the Lord, but also I acknowledge that marriage is a daily committment and you must never stop working at it.
Presently we are rereading "The Purpose Driven Life" and it once more has new meaning for us.

1 comment:
what a beautiful entry, Lori; so neat the Lord brought the two of you together
(don't you just love the Purpose Driven Life?? I had the pleasure of going to Saddleback Church for about 4 months before we moved where we are living now; Rick Warren is such a Jesus-loving man)
betty
Post a Comment